CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Doggy Dilemma!

Look at this absolutely precious 5 month old puppy that we found hanging around our yard this afternoon! He's half palmeranian (sp?) and half yorkie! (so we've been told)







That's not Carson's tattoed arm by the way, it's my neighbors. I'll go back and share the events of our afternoon. So we found this adorable puppy in our back yard with no tags and we both instantly fell in love with it. Carson started running around with him and fed him some roast beef (it's all we had since we don't own a dog) and he ate it right up. He is so tiny and cute! We started calling him Dexter, Dex for short, and it was just love at first sight. We started running through all the options of what to do with him (post a sign, ask our neighbors if he belongs to anyone, or be really selfish and close the garage and keep him all to ourselves! Carson told me to go ahead and run along to the store and we got a box and put some water in it and kept him in the garage. I came rushing back home because sweet little Maddie didn't want to take her bottle from Daddy and she was in a tizzy! Daddy called me and said "Come home now!" Anyway, we got her settled and CP went back outside and started playing with Dex. I was excited about that because I was hoping the extra bonding time would convince Carson that we needed to keep the dog for ourselves. See, I've been wanting to get a dog for the two years that we have been married but Carson would never let us get one, big meanie! Actually, in his defense, we lived in an apartment the first year of our marriage and now we currently have a house with no backyard fence. So, it hasn't really been logical for us to get a dog. Carson was so smitten with Dexter, though, so I was praying that he would throw all logic out the window. hee hee. Ok, back to the story... After I fed Maddie, I walked outside to join him in the front yard and I see my neighbor, Kelly, holding our little guy. Uughhh...I was heartbroken to find out that Dexter was actually named "Cowboy" and belonged to my next door neighbor. Boo hoo! My hopes of finally being a pet owner were quickly dashed. We visited with our neighbor and told him how much we loved the puppy and he told us that he actually was needing to get rid of him and HE OFFERED HIM TO US FOR FREE! His girlfriend was really wanting a different dog and he had inherited the pup from his brother for free. Oh my cow, I was so excited! The only problem is that we still don't have a fence to keep in our back yard. I would like to keep him inside when we're home anyway, but Carson did not grow up with an inside dog so he's not too sure about the idea. Then, of course, there's also the issue of having a dog with a baby. Would the puppy be good around the baby? Is it too much for us to handle right now?

I'm sharing this on my blog to get some input from my blogger friends about what we should do. All you dogowners out there that also have children, is it more of a blessing or a curse to take care of a dog and a newborn at the same time? Let me know what you think and be honest with me.

I feel like a bad mommy b/c I haven't taken any pictures of Maddie this week, but my friend Wendy came over and took some of her, so I will post those when I get them back. She's already 6 weeks old!!! I can't believe how big she's getting. She's getting stronger everyday and she loves to smile at us. I am also happy to report that she has slept soundly the past three nights. I actually have to wake her up to feed her in the middle of the night. I think she might could sleep through the entire night but she's not quite old enough to go that long without a feeding yet, but soon enough I'm hoping our little girl will make it through the entire night without waking up! It's amazing how much more rested I feel in the morning when she sleeps at night. So, all is well at the Parrish household. Blessings to all!

3 comments:

Libby said...

Well, you know what my answer will be...of course you can do it!! :) Molly did fantastically with Grace when we brought her home and she is definitely an inside dog all day unless we go somewhere. Maybe Carson could build a little area in your backyard that you could put the pup when you aren't home...but it defnitely has more to do with what you are comfy with since you'll be staying home with Maddie and Cowboy...good luck in deciding, can't wait to see the pics Wendy took and to see you guys this weekend!!

Mittig family said...

Of course you should keep that adorable little puppy! Will has always loved both of our dogs, especially Payton. It's kinda sad now because they're outside more than they were at our old house when Will was this age so Maggie doesn't get to play with them as much. But it's great for them to have a "buddy" and I think dogs can teach a lot of life lessons! Dogs also seem to just "know" about babies. Miller comforts Will when he's sick and Payton is so protective of both my kids!

Yea Maddie-she can start sleeping through the night in less than two weeks, right?

Wendy said...

I agree with the other two...of course you should keep the dog! They will grow up to be great friends. Since it is a small dog, I would recommend crate training it. Both of my small dogs are crate trained so they sleep in there at night and stay in there when we are gone. I worry about leaving them outside when I'm gone. I will say it's a little annoying to have a dog who is not potty trained when you have a baby...or anytime for that matter! I think this whole situation was God's way of telling Carson you needed Dexter...or Cowboy.